Headteacher - Miss K Robinson , Fryston Road, Castleford, West Yorkshire, WF10 3EP
Aspire, Believe, Achieve
CHRISTIANITY - JUDAISM - ISLAM - BUDDHISM - SIKHISM - HINDUISM
Look at what we learn in RE...
FAMOUS IN THIS FIELD
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on December 17, 1936, Jorge Mario Bergoglio became Pope Francis on March 13, 2013, when he was named the 266th pope of the Roman Catholic Church. Bergoglio, the first pope from the Americas, took his papal title after St. Francis of Assisi of Italy. Prior to his election as pope, Bergoglio served as archbishop of Buenos Aires from 1998 to 2013 (succeeding Antonio Quarracino), as cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church of Argentina from 2001 to 2013, and as president of the Bishops' Conference of Argentina from 2005 to 2011. Named Person of the Year by Time magazine in 2013, Pope Francis has embarked on a tenure characterized by humility and outspoken support of the world's poor and marginalized people, and has been involved actively in areas of political diplomacy and environmental advocacy.
AT AJS WE LEARN...
RELIGION - OUR AIMS AND OBJECTIVES ARE...
Airedale Junior School is a state school whereby the predominant religion in our community is Christian. The emphasis in our teaching of Religious Education is Christianity, whilst we also teach aspects of Islam, Sikhism, and Judaism.
It is our aim to:
• To develop knowledge and understanding of Christianity and other principal religious traditions represented in Great Britain.
• To develop understanding of the ways in which beliefs influence people and their behaviour, practices and their communities.
• To reflect on, deepen and clarify their own experiences, values and beliefs and those of others.
• To develop an awareness of fundamental questions about life arising from human experience and how religious beliefs and practices can relate to them.
• To recognise the right of people to hold diverse beliefs and values and to develop positive attitudes of respect towards other people.