At Airedale Junior School we learn:
At Airedale Junior School, English is embedded into the whole curriculum. Through developing language and the written word, we equip children with the skills they need to confidently carry them along their learning journey.
We support the children to:
- Develop their reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Develop their understanding of and ability to write a wide range of text types including fiction, poetry and non-fiction texts.
- Develop a secure understanding of grammar and punctuation.
- Develop their ability to understand spelling rules and apply their spelling across the curriculum.
- Develop their handwriting skills with the aim that the majority of children will have a fluent and cursive writing style by Year 3.
- Develop their spoken language skills in order to speak confidently and appropriately in a range of contexts and to a range of audiences.
Look at what we have been learning in English:
Famous In This Field:
Rick Riordan - Author
Rick Riordan is the author of several popular book series' for kids. He is most known for the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series, but also for The 39 Clues and The Heroes of Olympus series. Where did Rick Riordan grow up? Rick was born on June 5, 1964 in San Antonio, Texas where he grew up and went to high school. As a kid Rick liked to read fantasy books and mythology. One of his favorite books was the Lord of the Rings. He also liked to write at a young age and even tried to get his first story published at the age of 13. He wasn't successful the first time, but he kept trying and all his hard work would pay off many years later. In high school he continued to write and was the editor for his school's newspaper. He went to college at the University of Texas in Austin where he studied English and history. He later got his teaching certification and started teaching. Where did he get the idea for the Percy Jackson series? Rick had enjoyed teaching about mythology to his students for years. He also enjoyed mythology and fantasy books as a kid. When his son Haley was diagnosed with dyslexia and ADHD one of the few subjects that interested him was mythology. Rick made up the story of Percy Jackson and his adventures during story time to Haley at night. Haley said Rick should write a book about Percy and the rest is history.
Read more at: https://www.ducksters.com/biography/rick_riordan.php
This text is Copyright © Ducksters. Do not use without permission.
English: Further Information & Links: