At Airedale Junior School we learn:
At Airedale Junior School, English is embedded into the whole curriculum. Through developing language and the written word, we equip children with the skills they need to confidently carry them along their learning journey.
We support the children to:
- Develop their reading and listening comprehension skills.
- Develop their understanding of and ability to write a wide range of text types including fiction, poetry and non-fiction texts.
- Develop a secure understanding of grammar and punctuation.
- Develop their ability to understand spelling rules and apply their spelling across the curriculum.
- Develop their handwriting skills with the aim that the majority of children will have a fluent and cursive writing style by Year 3.
- Develop their spoken language skills in order to speak confidently and appropriately in a range of contexts and to a range of audiences.
Look at what we have been learning in English:
Famous In This Field:
Atinuke was born and grew up in Nigeria. She writes children's books because she loves the vibrancy, joy, wisdom and humour of her own African culture, which she includes a lot of in her work. She shares with children all over the world how modern life is in Africa, how amazing African traditions and cultures are, and how our human joys and sorrows are the same.
She also tells traditional African stories which make her international audiences laugh and cry. Her books have been published in the UK, USA, France and Japan and have won lots of awards. Atinuke spends most of her time at home quietly dreaming up stories, but she sometimes visits schools and book festivals — she loves to meet her readers! Atinuke lives in Pembrokeshire, UK.
English: Further Information & Links: